Backup Education
How do you resolve VM connectivity problems after a network switch change? - Printable Version

+- Backup Education (https://backup.education)
+-- Forum: Hyper-V (https://backup.education/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Questions VI (https://backup.education/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How do you resolve VM connectivity problems after a network switch change? (/showthread.php?tid=713)

How do you resolve VM connectivity problems after a network switch change? - savas - 09-02-2021

When you run into VM connectivity issues after a network switch change, it can be pretty frustrating. I’ve been there, and I know how everything can feel chaotic for a moment. The first step is to revisit the basics. Check that all physical connections are secure. It sounds simple, but sometimes in the chaos of switching things around, a cable might get jostled or unplugged.

Once you confirm the physical connections are solid, it’s time to take a look at the switch configuration itself. If you’ve just swapped out a switch, it’s possible that port settings or VLANs weren’t set up correctly. Make sure the ports for the VM network are configured properly—Double-check port modes (access or trunk) and any assigned VLANs. If your VMs are supposed to be on a specific VLAN, ensure that’s correct on the new switch and matches what you had before.

After that, looking into the VM settings in your hypervisor is key. Sometimes, VMs can still be tied to a specific network or virtual switch that’s been altered on the new hardware. Verify that all network adapters on those VMs are configured to connect to the right virtual switch or network resource.

It’s also a good idea to poke around the DHCP settings if your setup uses it. If you’ve changed the switch and your DHCP server is on a different VLAN or network segment, your VMs might not be able to receive an IP address. This can leave them with link-local addresses—they can talk to each other, but not the outside world. Check the DHCP relay settings if necessary, especially if you split the networks in a way that might block that functionality.

If you’re still having problems, consider looking at the firewall settings, both in your datacenter and on the VMs. Any changes to the network infrastructure can affect the network flow. There might be rules that need adjusting or ports that need opening.

You might also want to check the ARP tables—clearing stale entries can sometimes resolve connectivity problems. Sometimes, a simple flush of the ARP cache can help if there are address conflicts due to changes.

Another thing to look at is the MTU settings across your network. Sometimes a switch can reintroduce issues with jumbo frames or just cause mismatches that leave VMs unable to communicate properly. Make sure the MTU settings are consistent across all devices in the traffic path.

Remote access is worth investigating too. If you can still access your management interfaces, try pinging the VMs or the gateway. Getting responses means the connection might be there, but something deeper in the network settings is off.

Lastly, if all else fails, bring out the cheese and wine—just kidding! But truly, if you’re stuck, don’t hesitate to reach out to your network admin or a colleague with more experience in switch configurations. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can spot something you've missed. Just remember to approach it calmly; the solution is usually there, waiting to be uncovered.

I hope my post was useful. Are you new to Hyper-V and do you have a good Hyper-V backup solution? See my other post